Monday, January 31, 2011

Inner chaos, Outer peace

The inner chaos in my head contrasts with the outer peace on the "building site" - it's quiet, works are far from beginning. This little ramble is intended to help straighten things out a bit.

 
 

Ok, what is the next step on the critical path, that is the key question. Planning permission is not yet in, nor are the plans done, or even the choice of the way forward. It's very early stages. Confusing times, lots of factors.

Quite a lot is done though, the concept for 4 apartments, a detailed work breakdown (tradesmen), sales valuations etc. Financially, going for apartments looks like it would be a winner on rental, sales, and unit cost. There is good agreement amongst estate agents on the financials, though I need to consider too that this development will be unique because of the building history, so this can affect sales value as it's a niche market.

So next step, what is it? There are tons of things on my to-do list but which is critical? Right now, having breakfast maybe the one. But after that?

Well, I need to get local buy-in if I'm going for 4 flats. Planning permission should go through but there are some political and grey areas. Parking is one, there is only one space. But I'm right opposite the mainline station to London. And I have another block of apartments down the road without any parking and they are all renting fine, without cars. But can still be a concern of the council.

The other grey area is neighbour opinion. It seems to make sense to present plans informally to those who are likely to be approached anyway in the formal process, and get feedback. Obstacles in the formal process cause a lot more delay, whereas informal discussions may resolve matters over a cup of tea.

So my priority it would seem is to get the informal plans drawn up, together with supporting arguments. With this I can then do the rounds. It maybe a professional will assist in this, I am waiting to hear back from one who is expert in planning. On the other hand I may also start this process myself. I am a new resident, and it makes sense that I spend some time integrating with the locals, being a bit less of a caveman perhaps. One of the neighbours is a specialist builder in conversions, and I'm looking for new builders, so could kill a couple of birds there.

Tomorrow i'm going to the local history centre to meet with a historian specialising in architecture. I would like to date the building I'm converting, and get some more info on it's history. I have some tidbits here and there, but the building being a few hundred years old may have a lot more to offer. I may then turn this into a small exhibition, and open the place up to family, friends, and neighbours, with the general intention of having a good time and assuring locals that really I'm a jolly good chap, and so my tenants will be too.

Ok that's enough for now, I'm starvin.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like you've already made a good start at drawing up informal plans yourself. I agree that spending a bit more time with the locals and sharing your plans could really help with the planning permission and to get out of the 'cave'. I can only imagine how confusing it must all seem at times from the inside. Exciting though!
    Hopefully with the station opposite and alternative parking nearby that wont be a problem. There's no parking anyway for many other houses on the street.
    You were up early!

    ReplyDelete